Well, I didn’t have an early night, read my book nor watched any funny videos last night. I did, however, made some cupcakes, and it’s almost as relaxing, if not, more.
I found this recipe while doing an elimination diet. I was craving chocolate and cakes but was saddened that everything had dairy, soy and eggs. From the second I found it, I have made numerous of it since.
I also am obsessed with adding hidden vegetables in everything, mainly grated zucchini and carrots. Ask my husband and he’ll agree haha (he hates zucchini). I just find it so easy to use to up our daily vegetables intake.
When I found out that we had run out of milk and had an almost dead zucchini in the fridge, combined with not having anything to bring to my Mothers Group meetup today, I decided to make zucchini chocolate cupcakes.
They aren’t exactly dairy-free and soy-free as per the original cake recipe, because I halved the sugar and added dark choc squares instead. However, you can definitely make it as per the recipe (slightly modified to include the grated zucchini).
Here’s what I did.
Zucchini chocolate cupcakes
Makes 12 cupcakes
- 1/2 cup grated zucchini (to save washing up, I just grated mine straight into the mixing bowl)
- 12 Dark Chocolate squares or 1/2 cup chocolate bits (I would exclude this if you want to make it dairy and soy free, unless of course you have ones that are made without dairy and soy)
- 4 tbs coconut oil or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar or normal white vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup of hot water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup of sugar (unless you dont have any chocolate chips, then perhaps add 3/4 cup of sugar)
- 3 tbs cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cup of self raising flour
- Preheat oven to 180C
- In a bowl, combine all dry ingredients except the chocolate squares
- Add zucchini and all wet ingredients
- Mix well and pour into cupcake cups
- Push chocolate squares on top of each cup (if you have chips, then you’re welcome to mix through with the rest of the ingredients)
- Bake for 15 minutes
Then eat eat eat eat eat guilt-free (almost)! It’s basically salad, right??? 🙂
I over-baked mine, because Little E started crying so I went up to see him, and totally forgot about them…. so they’re a little….. DRY!!! *sadface* I gave some of it to my little one, without the chocolate squares for morning tea and he loved it! However, his favourite food is zucchini! 😛
- Chocolate Zucchini Cake = Pretty much a vegetable, right? (boomdava.wordpress.com)
- Chocolate-zucchini Cake Recipe (kraftrecipes.com)
- Chocolate Zucchini Muffins (recipes.alwaysbcmom.com)
- Zucchini Brownies (absgoldberg.wordpress.com)
- Fussy Little Eaters: Pumpkin Fruit Cake (theunicornmum.wordpress.com)
- Fussy Little Eaters: “Baked” Beans Recipe (theunicornmum.wordpress.com)
- Fussy Little Eaters: Easy Orange Chicken + OOTD (theunicornmum.wordpress.com)
- Fussy Little Eaters: Banana Pancakes (no eggs) (theunicornmum.wordpress.com)